75 Years of Stitching Yorkshire
75 Years of Stitching in Yorkshire: Celebrating the establishment of the Embroiderers’ Guild Yorkshire Branch at Leeds 1934-2009.
The Embroiderers’ Guild was formed in London in 1906 and members travelled from all over the country to the meetings. In 1934, a group of ladies established the Yorkshire Branch, only the second branch outside London and now the longest serving branch, celebrating its 75th Anniversary in 2009. The first president of the Embroiderers’ Guild was Louisa Pesel, a teacher and expert in embroidery who had travelled worldwide collecting samples of embroidery. Her life’s collection and notebooks are held at ULITA. This exhibition presents samples from the Branch archive and work of present members, including the results of a competition this year based on the theme of Natural Fibres to complement the current exhibition at ULITA.